Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rainbow colored Easter Cookies

I absolutely loved working on this food project, it has been so fun and colorful. When I first came upon this recipe it was for red, white and blue cookies but I decided to make them more spring like. I think my orange is too orangey but that's okay. I also solved numerous problems I had along the way and now you'll have no issues at all in making these fun cookies. 


Ingredients
2 pouches Betty Crocker sugar cookie Mix
2/3 c butter nearly melted 
and cooled slightly
2 eggs
Orange, teal and purple food coloring
1 TBSP of orange Jell-O
1 TBSP blue Jell-O
1 TBSP grape Jell-O

Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with wax paper, extending paper over sides of pan
In a mixer beat butter and eggs, add the sugar cookie mixes and beat until just combined. Divide the dough into three equal parts and place in bowls, add orange jell-O and orange food coloring to one part. knead with your hands in the bowl until the jell-O is mixed in, then pick up dough and knead until color is combined. Divide orange colored dough into 2 equal parts. Repeat with blue and grape jell-O and colorings until you have 6 balls of dough. Pat a layer of orange dough in bottom of loaf pan. Press gently with the back of a dry measuring cup to even out the dough. Add each color until you have 6 separate layers. Wrap remaining wax paper over sides of dough and cover with foil and refrigerate for a few hours. 

Prepare cookie sheets and preheat oven to 375. Take the chilled dough out of fridge and dump onto a prepared work surface. Cut dough in half and stack on top of first layer, so now you have 12 layers. Slice into thickish slices and use cookie cutter to cut out desired shapes. Place on baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes, this helps retain shape while cooking. Bake for 10 minutes or until done.  Cool and decorate. 
Ingredients
prepare your 8x4 pan
Separate dough into 3 bowls
Orange jell-O and orange food coloring
Nice colors
Ready to pan
This is my second layer going on
Using a measuring cup to level the dough
All done
Wrap up dough and stick in fridge
Dump dough on cutting surface
Isn't it cool looking?
I got smart quickly and realized I needed to make
my dough higher, so I cut the loaf in half
and squished it into one tall loaf
Slice some off and start cooking cutting
I took all of the scraps and put them into one gorgeous pile,
nice marbling 
Ready for the oven
Space yours out a little more than mine,
freeze for 10 minutes before baking
Ready to frost
My cute neighbor Lucy helped me out
She loved putting eyeballs on the bunny's faces
Now if you have a problem where the cookies spread while cooking don't panic

Let them sit for 3 minutes after they come out of the oven and
use your cookie cutter again on the cooked cookie,
eat the scraps. 
Lucy decorated these
She loved the blue sprinkles
Aren't these cute?
Get creative and have fun!
I love the marbleized ones the best

Enjoy!




Source: The Cooking Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment