Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Ice Box Cake (Low Fat version)

We really have been trying to eat healthier in our home, but my sweet tooth has been acting up this week. I remembered this recipe that someone sent me years ago and dug through my email account this morning and found it. I've only ever made the low fat version, but of course you are welcome to make it any way you'd like. I also decided that I'd make 2 smaller ones instead of the 9x13 version and give one to my next door neighbor. (they are loving my diet since they are constantly getting treats from me).
This is a great recipe to take to a party!




Ingredients for Eclair
I box graham crackers
3 c skim milk
2 small pkgs. fat free vanilla pudding
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
8 oz lite Cool Whip

Line graham crackers on a 9x13 pan. Mix pudding, cream cheese and milk in
large bowl. Beat low speed 1 minute, fold in Cool  Whip. Pour over graham crackers, then top mixture with another set of crackers. Repeat with pudding mixture and top with crackers.
One pan for us, one for the neighbor
Line with graham crackers
Mix pudding, cream cheese and milk
Low speed
Keep going
Fold in Cool Whip
I find that when I use lower fat cream cheese
that it isn't quite as smooth as full fat,
but the taste is the same (ignore the lumps)
Spread over crackers
Add more crackers
Repeat pudding and crackers, this is the top of the second layer


Ingredients for Frosting
2 tsp butter
2 tsp honey
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 tbsp skim milk
1 c powdered sugar

Melt chocolate and butter in microwave until melted, stir in honey. Add powdered sugar and mix with mixer at low speed. Gradually add in milk, you may need to add more or even a little less, watch consistency very carefully. If frosting is too runny add more powdered sugar. Pour frosting over top of eclair and cover and chill for 4 hours.
Serves 12

Pour honey into melted butter and chocolate
Add powdered sugar
Mix until it forms a soft ball
Add milk 
Mix in milk and blend until smooth
Pour over eclairs
Spread out the lovely chocolate and chill

Enjoy! 

I thought I'd share my gorgeous cooking view with you today, the weather is perfect!

5 comments:

  1. does it say how much powdered sugar????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good spot! It calls for 1 cup, I've revised the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic and super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can look at my blog and see nutritional facts of healthy, low fat food at grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete