Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Saltimbocca (lightened up)

We celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday and I wanted to make something tasty yet low fat. I found this recipe and was really happy with the results. I did do a little tweaking on it and of course forgot to buy prosciutto, so I had to replace it with ham from my fridge. I served it with brown rice and garlic green beans. I am going to make it again using prosciutto since it's one of our favorite Italian meats.



Ingredients
3 chicken cutlets halved
6 small slices of Prosciutto or ham
6 basil leaves
olive oil
1/4 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 TBSP butter
3/4 c fat free chicken broth
1/4 white wine
can omit wine and use more chicken broth
Arugula


Slice each cutlet in half so that you have 6 pieces, pound pieces until 1/4 inch thick. Lay prosciutto or ham  on top of chicken cutlet then place a piece of basil on top of that. Fold chicken in half and lightly pound edges to seal. Dredge in flour that you've seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in skillet and fry chicken 1-2 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside. Add wine to pan to deglaze, add chicken broth and butter while stirring. Return chicken to pan and let simmer until chicken has fully cooked, at least another 5-10 minutes. Serve over arugula and top with sauce.
Makes 6 smaller portions or 3 large ones. My husband and I ate 2 pieces to equal 1 cutlet, my daughter only ate 1 piece of chicken.
Ingredients
Slice chicken cutlets into half
Pound until they are 1/4 inch thick
Place basil and prosciutto or ham on top of
chicken. Sorry missing pic of ham being added
Place chicken pocket in flour and dredge
Cook in pan for 1-2 minutes per side,
then remove
Add wine to deglaze pan
Add chicken broth and butter, the
sauce thickens up quickly
Return chicken to pan and cook until done
See how it's still not cooked? Keep simmering
Now it's done
Place on a plate of arugula
and pour sauce from pan on top of chicken

Enjoy!


 Source: Adapted from Ginas Skinny Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment