Monday, March 7, 2011

Strawberry Bread

It's strawberry season here in Florida and I bought some large gorgeous strawberries. I debated what to do with them and decided on this yummy strawberry bread. I lightened the recipe up a bit, too afraid to exchange the butter for a low fat  butter substitute, but I did exchange the cream cheese for 1/3 less fat and I also used low-fat buttermilk. I always regret making only one loaf of bread when I use a great recipe, so I doubled this one and have two lovely loaves to show for my work. You will love the taste of this moist fragrant bread.


Ingredients for 1 loaf
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, softened ( I subbed 1/3 less fat)
2 eggs
1 tsp real vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 c  buttermilk ( subbed low fat)
1/1/2 c strawberries, rinsed, dried and chopped

Grease 1 9x5 loaf pan, preheat oven to 350

Using a standing mixer cream butter,, sugar and cream cheese until nice and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mix in vanilla.
In seperate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend flour mixture with batter until just blended. Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined, do not over mix. Dough is very thick.
Carefully fold in strawberries. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.  Make sure you use a toothpick and check for doneness. Let sit in pans for 15 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack. Yields 1 loaf or you could use mini loaf pans and watch the bread carefully until it tests done.


Ingredients
Batter after cream cheese, butter and sugar. Nice and fluffy
Add eggs one at a time
Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl
Slowly add dry ingredients
Slowly add buttermilk
Batter will be thick
I cut the tops off the strawberries and then quartered them
 before puttingthem in the food processor
Folding in the yummy berries
Doesn't this look yummy?
I made two batches, so double the goodness for us
Fresh out of the oven. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would
taste great on top of this delicious bread.
(Mine turned out a little more crumbly on the top than 
I wanted and a little denser at the bottom. 
I think I'm going to put it into 3 pans instead of 2 next time)


Enjoy!



Source: adapted from  My Baking Addiction

No comments:

Post a Comment