Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chicken and Rice Soup

There are many different ways to make homemade chicken noodle/rice soup but they all start with a chicken carcass. I know that sounds gross and unappealing, but to achieve a rich flavor you gotta throw the bones in. I bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and used most of the chicken to make chicken salad but I did leave some chicken on the bones. You can start with a whole raw chicken if you want a lot of meat in your soup, or you can always use boned in thighs or breasts. Shh, I'll now share my biggest soup secret, it's called Maggie, it's a brown liquid that looks and tastes similar to soy sauce. It's a staple in mine and my mother's home. (very popular in Dutch dishes) It can be found in the sauce aisle in  most grocery stores, or on Amazon. I personally find that there is no such thing as too much pepper or Maggie in chicken soup!!

Ingredients
1 chicken carcass with some meat attached
1 onion, diced
3 stocks celery, leaves included, chopped
2 cubes chicken bullion
1/2 bag frozen peas
3/4 c uncooked rice, or 1 bag dry egg noodles if you want chicken noodle soup
Salt and pepper, to taste
Maggie, to taste
3 carrots, peeled and thickly cut

I put the carcass into a large pot and filled the pot with water until it completely covered the chicken bones. Add onion, celery, carrots and bullion cubes, bring to a boil and simmer for at least 2 hours. Pull out bones and pick meat off the bones and return meat to soup. (throw away bones) I usually let my soup simmer all day and then add the peas and rice at least 45 minutes before serving. (if adding noodles instead of soup, add them 15-20 minutes before serving) I keep tasting the broth and adjusting the seasoning. Add the Maggie and pepper as the day progresses, I end up not using any salt, just the Maggie. If you can't find Maggie, sub salt. I ended up adding some additional cooked chicken to my soup, I had done too good of a job earlier in the day for my chicken salad. Serves 6

My dinner last night
Maggie, go pick some up!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment