Saturday, March 26, 2011

Coloring Sugar Cookie Dough

Yesterday I dyed some cookie dough, I thought that with spring here the cookies would look particularly festive. I am thrilled with the results and this also gave me the perfect chance to show off some of the new cookie cutters I received for my birthday. My parents sent me a gift card to Bake It Pretty and I went hog wild! I bought some new cutters, frosting tips, jimmies and disco dust!


I used my trusty cookie recipe, and added some dye.

For the frosting I decided to not use royal icing but a different kind, it's called Glace Icing, and I found it on Our Best Bites site. I like to add more powdered sugar to make a thicker icing.

GlacĂ© Icing 
1lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 C) plus 1 cup
6T whole milk 
(low-fat actually works, but use whole if you can)

6T light Corn Syrup (6T is equal to 1/4 C plus another 2 T)
1 t extract 
(I use almond because I use almond in my sugar cookies) I've also added orange flavor and it was delish.

With a whisk, combine sugar and milk until smooth (no lumps!) Then stir in corn syrup and extract.


I also used some of the royal icing decorations I made a few weeks ago, they were perfect for these cookies!


Start with some dough and coloring
Put a big schmear of icing on the dough
Start kneading
Orange!
Let's try a different color
Yellow!
My cute new beehive cookie cutter, 
makes me think of Utah!
I love my carrots!
I let the cookies be the star, not the frosting
Here are my royal icing dots
Butterfly don't fly away
Carrot close up
I can't wait to make these the next time family from Utah
visits!
Some good old traditional circular cookies
A princess crown for my favorite neighbor
Love the square cookie cutter
Now to pack them up for gifting
Lucy's box
I love the Easter grass, tins from Target
dollar section

Ready to take next door
Who will get these?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment