Friday, March 18, 2011

Buttercream Frosting

Growing up we never ate store bought cakes, or even cakes made from a mix, ours were only homemade. At the time I hated it, I only wanted a sugary store bought cake, one with big fluffy frosting. As an adult I appreciate the fact that my mother made me make things from scratch, they taste better and are more cost effective. If you are from Florida and enjoy Publix cakes, this frosting is adapted from their recipe. 

The first day of 5th grade ( I was home sick and of course baking)  I made a homemade cake and afterwards while putting the plastic wrap on the cake I sliced my thumb/hand completely open on the serrated edge. This would be known as my first major kitchen accident, I've sliced/cut off almost every finger. I can cook but man am I clumsy in the kitchen :) .

Anyways back to cakes, I finally found a great buttercream recipe that allows me to make a fantastic homemade cake and have bakery quality frosting. It's a simple recipe that turns out great every time, follow the directions and don't use any substitutions.

Ingredients
2 sticks butter at room temp
2 cups Crisco shortening
1 tsp clear vanilla (when making white frosting I sub almond flavoring here)
1 tsp butter flavoring
2 lbs confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP meringue powder, found at Joanne's or baking supply stores
1 TBSP milk (if needed)
1/2 c cocoa powder (if making chocolate)

Mix butter, crisco and salt together on low speed for 5 minutes. Add extracts and beat until well blended. Turn off mixer and add meringue powder and 1/2 confectioners sugar. Turn mixer on the slowest speed the mixer has, add remaining sugar 1/2 cup at a time until sugar is mixed in. turn mixer up to medium and beat until smooth and creamy, this should take about 5 minutes. I like to refrigerate my frosting for a little bit before putting it into piping bags. This frosting colors great!!!!
 Makes enough to frost a 2 layer cake or frost 24 cupcakes. Store leftovers in freezer for another use.
I frosted a cake for my son's 21st birthday.
I flavored these with orange extract instead of vanilla or almond
I paired it with chocolate cupcakes and they
were to die for!
Yummy chocolate frosting!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment