- 6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar (white granulated)
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
1 tsp. salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- I like to separate my dough into thirds and place in between two pieces of parchment or wax paper. I then roll the dough to the desired thickness (I like thick) and then freeze dough on a cookie sheet for at least 10 min. I then cut my shapes out of the frozen dough. You'll never have sticky dough again! If you don't want to do it this way refrigerated dough and then roll it out the regular way.
- Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350
- degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. If using frozen dough you can cook cookies up to 12 minutes. I like my cookies a little undercooked
- This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3 cookies.
For the icing I like this recipe. Check out the great tutorial and additional directions here
I finished most of the cookies, so here are some fun pictures. Remember, I am not a professional, just a mom having fun!
I always bake on baking mats
This is how I roll out my dough, in-between parchment paper, then freeze
Piping bags make the job easier
Work in progress
Blue is my new favorite Christmas color
The snowflakes are awesome, but they break so easily
Note the old fashioned santa design, you can order them here
Did you notice my cute Christmas light sprinkles on the houses?? So cute
I'll be adding more edible paper designs to the circles tomorrow