Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chicken Salad

Isn't it funny how the weather dictates what we eat, when it's cold outside we want soup and when it's warm a salad sounds good. Well today the thermometer hit 79 here in central Florida and so salad has been on my mind. I've been craving chicken salad and when I saw some whole wheat pitas at the grocery store my mind was made up. I decided to buy a rotisserie chicken instead of cooking my own, (hey it's hot today) and grabbed some celery, the pitas and headed home. Olivia and I are eating alone tonight since my husband is visiting our son at UF tonight ( Go Gators) and I have a PTSA meeting so I needed something quick and easy.

People can be weird about their chicken salad, I personally don't care for fruit or nuts in mine, but you can totally add them to this recipe if you wish. You could add a little curry powder  and it would change the whole flavor profile, yumm, I love curry! Cilantro can also be added giving it a fresh bold flavor. So really,  this is a make your own kind of chicken salad, I'm just giving you the basics.

Ingredients
1 Rotisserie chicken, torn into bite size pieces
2 tsp white vinegar
A little less than a 1/2 cup of fat free half and half ( if you feel like the salad is dry, add more)
3/4 cup mayonnaise ( you can go off the reservation and use reduced fat or fat free mayo)
5 stalks celery, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
2 tsp cumin (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Pita Pockets
Lettuce

In a bowl combine torn chicken and celery and red onion. In a separate  bowl whisk together mayo, half and half, vinegar and pepper. Pour over the chicken mixture and mix well. Taste at this point and determine how much salt and pepper  you want, I like a lot of pepper in mine. Chill until serving time.
Place 1/2 cup chicken salad into each lettuce lined pita pocket.
Serves 4

I love fat free half and  half
Chicken torn into pieces
Pour mayo mixture into chicken, celery and onions
Mix it all together, taste and salt and pepper
Spoon into pita. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment