Monday, April 18, 2011

Cake in a Jar

Easter and college finals are just around the corner so I decided that this week I'd put together boxes to send off to my boys. I'm including some cookies as well as these colorful cakes. I can't wait to hear how they like their spring surprise!  My daughter Olivia brought this recipe to my attention and I was so excited about it, I knew right then I had to make it. I doubled my recipe so that I'd have 6 cute jar cakes to hand out to friends and family, the recipe below makes 3 jar cakes. I purchased my jars at Wal-Mart, $9 for 12 jars. I hope you enjoy making these colorful creations for spring!


Ingredients
1 Box white cake mix
mix made according to package instructions
Food coloring 5 different colors
3 one-pint wide mouth canning jars
 Sprinkles/Jimmies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly wash and dry the inside of each canning jar. Spray the inside of each jar thoroughly with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Scoop about 1/2 cups of cake batter into five small bowls. It doesn’t have to be perfect, don’t panic if you get a little more of less of one color than another.  Tint each bowl of cake batter with the food coloring.
Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the purple batter into the bottom of each jar.  Spoon equal amounts of batter into jars.  Place the jars in a shallow baking dish, add about 1/4″ in water in the baking dish. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, test to see if it's done.
Remove jars and allow to cool completely before scooping a small portion from the top of your cake and adding a nice amount of  buttercream to the top.

 Sprinkle & serve, or cover with a lid and store in the fridge or wrap up and drop into the mail & surprise someone you love! Makes 3 jar cakes.
















Ingredients for 3 jars 
Separate cake batter into 5 equal portions
Color the batter and prepare the jars
Start scooping
This is what they will look like when you are done
Place in a large baker and fill with 1/4 inch of water
Ready for the oven
Out of the oven, aren't they cute?
I had to reign myself in and not eat the
top off!
Scoop some of the top of the cake off and frost 
and sprinkle with buttercream frosting
These make great neighbor gifts, 
or you can place the lid on the jar,
wrap in bubble wrap and mail

Enjoy!










Source: Babble

3 comments:

  1. I never, ever thought of sending a box for finals -- nor did I receive one, but if I did, this would be so fun! I love this. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter would go wild over this. Very creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent one of these into school with my high schooler today and the kids thought she was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete