Monday, April 25, 2011

Fruit Trifle

I am one of those firm believers that a dessert needs to be made of chocolate in order for it to be considered a dessert. I'm not a huge fruit person, don't get me wrong I love watermelon and grapes, but just not for dessert. This recipe is my one major exception to my 'no fruit as dessert rule'. I make it every Christmas and  it makes an appearance a few times throughout the year, it's easy but looks so decadent. The recipe I am sharing for the pound cake is one that was given to me by my dear friend Paige. This recipe belonged to her sweet mother in law who just passed away, I was very honored that she shared it with me. I know that you will enjoy it, I love the combination of the cake and fruit in this recipe.


Ingredients for Pound Cake
1 c. Crisco
3 c. Sugar
5 eggs
1 c. Whipping Cream
1 tsp Vanilla
3 c. cake flour ( I used regular)
1/2 tsp Salt

Mix Crisco and sugar together, add eggs and whipping cream. Add last three ingredients. Pour into 2 "prepared" bread pans (grease pans with crisco and SUGAR not flour). 
Place pans into a COLD oven, turn oven onto 325 and bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Let cool in pan.

Ingredients for Trifle
1 loaf of pound cake
1 large tub Cool Whip, I use low fat
2 (six serving) boxes of Jell-O vanilla pudding (using instructions on box for pie) I use fat free, sugar free pudding and skim milk
Fruit of your choice, I like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries

Prepping 
Cut pound cake into squares, prepare your pudding and chill and cut fruit.

To Assemble Trifle
Place a small amount of pudding in bottom of trifle bowl, add crumbled pound cake cubes and spread to all sides of bowl. Next add a layer of pudding, cool whip and then top with fruit layer. Repeat two more times. Chill in fridge for a few hours before serving.
Ingredients
Making the pound cake
I had a commercial pan that made one large cake instead
of two smaller ones. I love how this cake has a sugary crust.
I apologize for not taking pictures of the trifle building process,
my mind was too busy :)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment