Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Roasted Broccoli with Shrimp

I've decided that all veggies taste better roasted, period end of story. I personally never boil my veggies but I do saute (green beans) them and occasionally steam them (asparagus, brussels sprouts). I've heard chick peas are great roasted, I'll have to try this while the hubby is away on business, he doesn't do chick peas.

This recipe has everything you'd want in a recipe, fresh vegetable, seafood and good spices with a splash of lemon at the end. We gobbled this up so quickly that my husband and I resorted to forking the extras right out of the dish. The other reason I love this recipe is I was able to use my new mortar and pestle that my daughter gave me for my birthday, and may I say everyone should get one of these, cause they are nifty. She bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond, and I know Ikea sells them also.



Ingredients
2 lbs broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
4 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp whole coriander seeds or 1/2 tsp ground
1 tsp whole cumin seeds or 1/2 tsp ground
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp hot chili powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb large shrimp, I only had medium in the freezer
Zest from 1 lemon, then use juice from same lemon

Preheat oven to 425, place a large piece of aluminum foil on top of baking pan. The reason for the foil becomes apparent at clean up time, you simply fold up used foil and toss, your baking sheet is still pristine. Spread cut  broccoli over foil, in separate bowl mix oil, coriander, cumin, 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper and chili powder. Pour oil mixture over broccoli and use your hands to combine all ingredients. Roast in oven for 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through cooking time.

In a bowl combine peeled and deveined shrimp, remaining 2 TBSP olive oil, lemon zest, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.

After broccoli has been roasting for 10 minutes take out of oven and spoon shrimp mixture over the top, use a large spoon to mix together and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Shrimp should be opaque and broccoli tender and golden to determine doneness. Pull out of oven and immediately squeeze lemon juice over the top. Transfer to serving dish and enjoy! Serves 4

Ingredients
Whole coriander seeds
Ready to be crushed
Use a little muscle
I also threw whole peppercorns in there
and crushed them at the same time
Place broccoli on foil covered baking dish
See all of the yummy spices mixed in?
The shrimp are marinating
This is at the halfway mark, broccoli half cooked and
just adding shrimp
Straight out of the oven, squeeze lemon juice on top
Enjoy! 




Source: The Amateur Gourmet

3 comments:

  1. I'm a proponent of roasted vegetables as well. As a child of the south, I grew up on overcooked vegetables. I do still do a dish that overcooks green beans while steaming corn, new potatoes and summer squash on top since I can't completely abandon my "roots". I've long used a mortar and pestle--after all, my husband is a pharmacist where they are still used daily in compounding a number of medications.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Roasted!! This looks good, fast, relatively easy and HEALTHY! You get lots of stars on this one, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for the kind words. This seriously is such a delicious tasting recipe, the flavors pop in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete