Monday, April 4, 2011

Gnocchi with Ham and Peas

My husband and I love to watch shows about cooking, Top Chef and Chopped are our two favorites. I kept hearing about Gnocchi and I had no clue what it was, except that it was Italian and apparently easy to make. I found some while shopping at World Market and thought I'd give it a whirl. Not only did I like them, but I LOVE gnocchi!!  These are like little pillows of yummy on my tongue. I am looking forward to making some homemade gnocchi soon, it looks super easy to make. This recipe is a simple and quick to make, perfect on a night when you are running short on time.  I used fat free half and half, but if you want the real thing I urge you to use heavy cream.




Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium sized red onion, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic
1/3 c finely chopped ham or Pancetta  
¼ cup chicken stock, I used fat free
½ cup heavy cream or fat free half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c  frozen peas
1-pound gnocchi
¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t teaspoon nutmeg




You are going to want your gnocchi and sauce finished at the same time, so start a pot of water on the stove to boil the gnocchi in. 


Heat oil and butter in a heavy skillet, cut onions into rings and place into hot pan. Let sweat for 2-3 minutes, add chopped garlic and cook for an additional minute. Dump in ham and let cook until ham is heated through ( 3-4 more minutes). Add chicken stock to deglaze the pan, stirring every so often. Your water should be boiling now so add the gnocchi to the water. Next add the cream and frozen peas to your skillet, add salt and pepper to taste. Gnocchi is done once it starts to float, so at this point drain gnocchi in sink and dump into skillet. Add parmesan cheese and nutmeg at this time also. Stir and let cook for a few minutes to completely incorporate the flavors. Serve immediately. Serves 4


Ingredients, notice my Ipad, I love using it to
find recipes!
Gnocchi
Sweat the onions with butter and olive oil
Deglazing the pan with chicken stock
Add the cream and peas at the same time you put
the gnocchi into the boiling water
Cook until they float, 2-3 minutes
Drain gnocchi and add to skillet, then add parmesan 
cheese and nutmeg
Enjoy!!








2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful and like a dish my husband would really enjoy!! Thank you, Christina. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am craving this so much right now, I may have to make it again this week :)

    ReplyDelete