Thursday, April 7, 2011

Easter Nests (chocolate no bake cookies)

I wanted to come up with a fun and crafty table decoration for Easter dinner and thought what would be better than a cute Peep sitting on a bed of chocolate no bake cookies? These would make perfect name card holders that the guests can eat afterwards or take home. Reminder, not everyone likes coconut so don't let your feelings get hurt if some don't eat your treats. ( I personally love coconut) I hope you enjoy making these cute nests for you Easter celebration.

Ingredients for Nests
chocolate no bake cookies
2 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1/2 c butter
1/2 c cocoa
1 dash salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 c rolled oats
1 c coconut 
½ c slivered almonds (optional)
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa (I tend to go a little heavy on the cocoa) and salt. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. When it has reached a rolling boil, cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.Remove pan from heat and mix in vanilla, oats and coconut.
Nests
To make the 'nests' I was going to use a heavily sprayed cupcake pan but while searching my cupboards I found a muffin top pan, perfect! I also made one nest on my Silpat mat, using a spoon to shape it. Drop hot cookie mix into pan or matt and shape into a nest.
Colored Coconut
Place coconut in ziploc bag and add a few drops green food coloring, knead bag until coconut is green.
Chocolate dipped Peep
Follow tutorial here. Instead of covering entire peep, I just coated the bottom and placed on wax paper.
Follow the pictures below to help you assemble your nests.
Recipe makes 12 nests.
Ingredients for colored coconut
I love to use ziploc bags
Store extra coconut in freezer
Place chocolate coated Peep on wax paper
Ready for the fridge
Making no bake cookies
Stir
Bring to boil and stir for constantly for 5 minutes
Oats, coconut and almonds 
Add vanilla and oat mixture
Combine
I used muffin top pans to create the nests
I then placed the 'grass' on top
 I used some dipping chocolate to help hold the Peep
and jellybeans in place
Place finished next in fridge to set
I placed mine in a cute container from Garnish
They would also make darling cupcake toppers.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Christina these are adorable! If you stuck them in a little plastic bag you could sell them. Too cute.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete