Friday, February 4, 2011

Cookies to Cheer about (Royal Icing Recipe)

My daughter has a state cheer competition this weekend and the team is staying overnight in a hotel, so I decided to make some good luck cookies. I used my favorite recipe for the cookies but used a different recipe for the icing. I like the frosting recipe and think I'll continue to use it. It took me almost a full bottle of red coloring to get this great red color, as of last night these cookies were salmon and grey colored. Thank goodness color deepens as it matures.

Ingredients for Royal Icing
1/2 cup meringue powder (I buy mine at Joanne's)
1 cup cold water
2 tsp almond flavoring
2 lbs powdered sugar

Mix meringue powder and water until soft peaks form. Gradually add in powdered sugar and flavoring, the consistency should be like Elmers glue. I like to color and store my frosting in smaller tubs, these keep the frosting from drying out and it's easier to get vibrant colors when coloring smaller batches of frosting. Store extra frosting in refrigerator.

Ready to wrap my cute cookies
Go Rams
LMHS forever!
I used tule for tying the gift bags shut
The finished product, ready to surprise the girls

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment