Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Black Bean, Corn and Rice Salad

Do you have a recipe that you pull out time and time again? The one that always seems to be a winner and people ask for the recipe? This salad/relish/side dish is  one of my party staples, I usually make it in the summer to accompany burgers or grilled chicken, but last night I paired it with Mahi Mahi and it was simply amazing. The vibrant colors of the veggies delight the eye and the  crunchy veggies tickle the palette. For the purpose of pictures I made the salad in a bowl, but usually I dump everything into a gallon sized ziploc bag, it ensures equal distribution of the dressing and takes up less space in the fridge. This salad gets better every day it sits in the fridge.


Ingredients
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups cooked, chilled white rice ( I used the ready made Uncle Ben's pouch and it was the perfect amount)
1 cup frozen corn
1 small sweet red pepper, finely diced
1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
1/2  cup chopped cilantro or parsley (use the cilantro!!)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin ( I usually up it to 1 tsp, since cumin rocks my world)
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the beans, rice, corn, red pepper, onion and cilantro in a large bowl/bag, toss well.
Combine the olive oil vinegar, garlic jalapeno pepper and cumin, add to the rice mixture and toss well. Taste and add salt and pepper accordingly. Serve chilled.
Serves 6 


 
I love the colors in this salad
My chopping skills are getting better
The salad is dressed and ready to go into the refrigerator
Paired with Mahi Mahi, delish!

Enjoy!

Source: Grilling for Dummies

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that looks yummy. Wish I could eat rice but can't see I am not eating carbs. Love Mahi Mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try this, since I have a lovely red pepper in my fridge right now. I think I would leave out the jalepenos, though, since I'm not a fan of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is amazing because you can pick and choose which things to leave out. The two things I'd always include are cumin and cilantro. My kids love this salad and always want me to double the recipe.

    ReplyDelete