Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes (Valentine's Day)

I love cupcakes, but they need to be good cupcakes. I don't care if they are made by scratch or from a cake mix, they just need to taste great. I came up with this recipe by accident and my neighbors can tell you this is my best one yet. It's super easy since most of it is using a mix or pre-made frosting, the only thing you need to do is make the ganache and that is super easy. Of course you can use homemade frosting if you'd like, but why not take a few shortcuts, and believe me when your friends bite into these little gems they'll never know your secret.
I've decorated these cuties for Valentine's Day and I think they would be perfect for your loved ones too.




Supplies
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 container store bought chocolate frosting
heart sprinkles, bought here

Ingredients for Ganache
1 pound good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup

Prepare and bake cupcakes according to box, cook and let cool. In the meantime make the ganache filling. 

Directions for ganache (Makes 4 cups)





Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup just to a simmer over medium-high heat; pour mixture over chocolate. Let stand, without stirring, until chocolate begins to melt.
Beginning near the center and working outward, stir melted chocolate into cream until mixture is combined and smooth (do not overstir).
Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes, until frosting just barely begins to hold its shape and is slightly lighter in color. Use immediately (ganache will continue to thicken after you stop stirring). Put ganache into a frosting piping bag or a large ziplock bag. Store extra ganache in fridge for another use.


Putting them together

Take the cooled cupcakes and hollow out a hole in the middle, I used an apple corer. Eat the piece you core out. Pipe the ganache into the hole in the cupcake.  If you don't have a piping bag, a ziplock with a small hole cut in one corner works great. This cuts down on the mess, who would want to try and spoon this stuff into a cupcake?? Next we are going to frost these; take a can of store bought chocolate frosting and once again place in a piping bag, I like to use the tip that just has a large opening. (sorry I don't know which # it is) You can use any tip # or just frost these with a knife. Frost your cupcakes using a back and forth motion, sprinkle immediately with heart sprinkles. Share with your sweetheart. 
Start with a cupcake
Using an apple corer remove center of cupcake
This is what it looks like
I found this ganache in my fridge left over from another 
dessert and presto, this recipe was invented. Notice 
my fingernail mark? I had to taste it!
Place ganache into piping bag and pipe into center of cupcake
Fill it to the top. NO licking at this point
Fill all cupcakes
I love Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge frosting, place into piping bag
I like to do a zigzag design with the frosting.
Top with heart sprinkles.
Store leftovers in fridge, if there are any :)

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment