Thursday, January 6, 2011

Taco Soup

After the holidays most of us are trying to watch the waistline and the budget, this soup helps both. I love this recipe because it's so simple, tastes great, freezes well and is low in fat. If it were up to my husband I'd always use ground turkey breast instead of ground sirloin, but today the store only had ground turkey and so I decided to also add some ground sirloin. ( I personally can't stand the taste/texture of ground turkey, but like ground turkey breast...go figure) Since this recipe is so easy  to make, I always double it and throw half in the freezer. The ingredient list is for a double batch.

Ingredients
2 cans black beans, undrained
2 cans kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans, undrained
2 cans sweet corn, undrained
2 large cans diced tomatoes
2 pkgs taco seasoning
1 pkg dry ranch dressing/dip
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 lb ground sirloin
salt to taste
Makes 10 servings

Brown the turkey and sirloin in large stockpot. (there shouldn't be any fat to drain) Add packages of dry mixes and stir. Open all cans of beans and dump into pan, juices included. Stir, add salt to taste and simmer. I like to make this a few hours ahead and let it sit on the stove to mature the flavors, but you can bring the soup to a quick boil and serve right away.
My husband loves to top it with baked chips and fat free cheese. Olivia tops it with cheddar cheese and Fritos and I love to eat it plain. Back during my WW days this recipe equaled about 4 pts per large bowl.

Ingredients minus the 2 cans of corn
Brown the meat
(I forgot to buy canned corn, so I subbed frozen today)
Add the seasoning 
Empty all cans into pot
Simmer
This is Olivia's bowl, after she already started eating, she couldn't wait for the picture 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment