Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pear and Blue Cheese Salad

Friends and family that eat regularly with me know I don't mix fruit with savory ingredients. I don't like chicken salad with grapes in it, and I don't care for meat stuffed with fruit. All this changed on Sunday during my cooking class, we made pork 4 ways and every dish came with fruit. We also made a salad that had pears in it; I liked most of the recipes but loved the salad so much I wanted to share a version of it with you. The savory/salty taste of the blue cheese absolutely paired perfectly with the pear, haha get it pear/paired? Fruit humor. Anyways... I'm going to serve it as a side salad tonight along with grilled chicken burgers.
Salad Ingredients
          4 cups bite-size pieces salad mixture of your choice
  1-2
pears, (you choose your favorite kind) thinly sliced and lightly salted and peppered
3
tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
4
tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted (I don't use the walnuts)
Cider Vinaigrette Ingredients
4
tablespoons  olive
3
teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
          1/4 teaspoon salt
          1/4 teaspoon pepper
           1 clove garlic, minced

In medium bowl, mix all salad ingredients.
In tightly covered container, shake all vinaigrette ingredients until well blended. Add to salad; toss to mix.
Makes 4 servings

I usually don't care for spring mix, it is sometimes too bitter for me,
 but paired with this salad it really works
Slice the pair into thin strips and then chop. You can peel
the pears if you want, I chose not to
Lightly salt and pepper pear pieces
Mix all salad ingredients in a larger bowl and
pour vinaigrette mix in and toss
Savory and Sweet!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment