Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting

For Mother's Day Olivia bought me a tube of vanilla beans and I've been so excited to try them. I wanted to use some of them for vanilla ice cream, but thought that vanilla bean frosting sounded too good to not make it. I first made some chocolate cupcakes using a Duncan Hines mix, I added 1 TBSP real vanilla  and a 1/2 c cocoa to doctor up the boxed mix. This frosting has a nice light flavor that enhances the cupcakes flavor. I love seeing the flecks of vanilla in the frosting!



Ingredients
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise ( if you don't have access to vanilla beans increase extract to 2 tsp)
3 c confectioners sugar
Pinch Salt
1 tsp vanilla extract (clear)
2 TBSP fat free half and half (heavy cream works well also)

In a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat butter at med high speed until smooth. Using a sharp knife split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds from bean, place into butter and mix.  Add confectioners sugar, and salt. Scrape sides of bowl often. Add vanilla and half and half, beat at medium speed until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.  I like to place my frosting in a piping bag and then refrigerate before using. Makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes.

Ingredients
The bean
Slice it lengthwise
Scrape seeds out with sharp knife
See the yummy vanilla seeds?
Enjoy!

Source: Browneyedbaker

No comments:

Post a Comment