Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Rum Balls

My birth mother Cathie is famous for her bourbon/rum balls. The drunk child story goes like this, Olivia and I opened the Christmas box the first year Cathie sent these to me, and not until AFTER Olivia had consumed 5 or 6 of these did we see the post it note that said "adults only" hiccup!

I love giving these little balls of goodness away as gifts, I am planning on putting mine in clear boxes I bought here. The cute ones I purchased are no longer available but they have tons of other cute containers!

Rum Balls
1 pkg ( 6 oz) semi-sweet chips
1/2 cup sugar
3 T light corn syrup
1/2 cup bourbon/rum
2 1/2 cups vanilla wafers (finely crushed, about 5 dozen )
1 C  finely chopped walnuts, I've also used pecans

Melt choc, stir in sugar and corn syrup.  Blend in bourbon.  Combine wafers and walnuts and add to chocolate mixture.  Form 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.  Let ripen in covered container for several days.  Makes 4 doz
THESE ARE FOR ADULTS ONLY, THE ALCOHOL DOESN'T COOK OUT!

                                          Mix melted chocolate, sugar, corn syrup in bowl


                                            Crush Nilla wafers



                                          I like to  use a small cookie scoop to shape the balls
  
                                          Place shaped balls into bowl of sugar and cover

                                            Let rest, I usually store mine in the freezer
                                            that way I can't access them quite so easily!
                                            Place Rum Balls in small paper cups for a finished look.
                                            This plate of goodies went to my next door neighbors house.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment