Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Paula and I make a Chicken Pot Pie

A few years ago I discovered the city of Savannah and immediately fell in love. I think it's one of the few perfect cities in America. It boasts great food, ghosts, war history, yummy candy and beautiful southern homes. While we were there we ate at Paula Deen's restaurant, The Lady and Sons, I remember having to sneak to the bathroom to undo my jeans before dessert came. I bought her cookbook Savannah Country Cookbook and haven't found a bad recipe yet.

I love buying Pralines in Savannah

I've modified this recipe a bit to work for my family. This recipe makes a large 9x13 dish, but I like to make 2 pies instead. I like to do it like this so I can freeze one to have a few weeks later. I also like to use a rotisserie chicken in place of cooking a whole chicken, it saves time and I think a lot of mess too. Today I made mine with frozen turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving.

Chicken Pot Pie
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 c milk
1 chicken, (cooked) skinned, boned and cubed
1 medium onion
1 10 oz package frozen peas
3 carrots, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 sets of frozen pie dough ( you can make your own dough, especially if you want to make the 9x13 version, but once again I like things to be quick and easy, therefore I go with frozen dough.

In a large sauce pan, heat soups and Milk. Stir in chicken, onions, peas, carrots and salt and pepper. Cook until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Preheat oven to 350. Pour into 2 frozen pie shells. I then take the two extra pie shells and remove them from the tins and place on a floured countertop, I then use a pizza cutter and slice the dough into strips. Lay dough over pie in a lattice pattern. Dot with butter. Place pie tins on baking sheet before going into oven, sometimes it bubbles over. Bake for 45 min until golden brown.

Here I am once again using my awesome Le Creuset pan that I got for Christmas

Pour into pie shell

It doesn't have to look perfect to taste fabulous!

before oven

After...yummm


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment