Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Carrot and Turnip Mash

Every family has that one special recipe that's become a tradition at Thanksgiving, this one belongs to my husband's side. When I first married into the family I was reluctant to try this side dish, I'd never had turnips before and cooked carrots weren't my favorite. But once I tried this delicious dish I quickly became hooked. The sweetness of the carrots mixed with the starchy turnips are just too good to pass up. It's a super quick and easy recipe to make.



Ingredients


4 Large Turnips, peeled and quartered
10 Large Carrots, peeled and cut
1 stick Butter
1/2-1 c Half and Half
Salt to taste

Bring peeled and cut up carrots and turnips to a boil (add some salt to water), let simmer for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain water and add butter and 1/2 c half and half, you can add more half and half if you'd like it creamer. ( Pretend you're making mashed potatoes) Using a hand or stand mixer mix carrots and turnips until combined, but not smooth. You don't want them as smooth as mashed potatoes, I find that texture is too much like baby food.


Ingredients
Cover with water and add salt, bring to a boil
Butter
So good!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment