Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chocolate Cake

You know how sometimes it feels like everything is crashing down around you and you need some kind of escape? Well I've got the solution for you...this cake recipe! What a gorgeous chocolately concoction this is. I mean what could snap you out of a bad mood better than a huge chunk of chocolate love, washed down with an icy Diet Dr Pepper?? 
I didn't think this day could get worse, but of course when you think that..... the worst happens. After doing a crumb coat on my gorgeous cake I was attempting to place it in the refrigerator when I realized a little too late that the shelf wasn't cleared off enough. I attempted to shut the fridge door and I could see the cake tipping, I tried to catch it.....
but it didn't happen.....

The next day I was able to see the humor in it all and take this picture :)

So don't judge me, I scraped the cake off the bottom of my fridge, placed it back on the stand, re frosted the broken and ugly pieces and stuck it back in the fridge. We'll see if I can "cover" my mistakes later when I do a top coat of frosting. Good thing I made this cake for me and no one else....well maybe I'll share with my daughter.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups boiling water
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
10 oz (2 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar, I only had light
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with circles of wax paper or baking parchment.
Pour the boiling water over the chocolate chips. Add cocoa and stir until mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool. Cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and half of the chocolate mixture. Beat on low to combine, then on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the remaining chocolate mixture and beat on low until mixed.

Pour batter into pans and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out completely clean. Cool for 10-15 minutes; remove from pans. Wrap in double layers of plastic wrap while still warm and freeze. 



Frosting Ingredients 
1 1/4 cups plus 2 T. butter, softened
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup plus 2 T. Milk

When cake is frozen solid, frost between the two layers and spread a thin layer over the whole cake. Freeze again for about 20 minutes. Frost again. 


Ingredients for Cake
I traced circles on parchment paper to place on bottom of cake pans
Semi sweet chocolate in boiling water
Gorgeous batter, reminds me of chocolate pudding
Out of the oven
Frosting Ingredients
If you look at it from the top you can't see how slanted it is :)


Enjoy!


Source: A Bountiful Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment