Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Caramel Apple Pie



Today is my sweet neighbors birthday, she is a like a second mother to my daughter so I had to do something big for her.  Paige's favorite dessert is apple pie and since I just brought home BAGS of apples from NC I decided to make one for her. One major problem with this thinking was my stove top cracked last night and I'm now oven-less. I didn't think she'd mind baking her own birthday pie so I took it over ready to pop into the oven. She took one look at it and burst into tears (she'd had a rough day), sometimes birthdays are like that. This is what baking is to me, bringing love and joy into other peoples lives. Happy birthday dear friend.

Sorry for not having an "after" pic, my oven is broken!



Ingredients
2 Deep dish pie crusts (I like Marie Calendars)
5 large Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 c Sugar
1 TBSP Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Caramel Sauce (found where ice cream toppings are)
3 TBSP Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400. Peel, core and slice apples and place in large bowl. In small bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix together and add to apple slices, mix. Pour apple mixture into pie crust. Pour 1/4 jar of caramel sauce over the top of the apple slices. Next roll out remaining pie dough onto work surface, I used a small heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out numerous hearts and placed them on top of pie. Whip an egg white and brush on top of crust hearts, sprinkle with 3 TBSP sugar mixed with 1 tsp Cinnamon. Loosely wrap aluminum foil around pie and bake for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet,  remove foil and continue to bake for another 20. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting.
Ingredients
I have one of these fancy apple peeler-corer-slicer machines
I love it!
Yummy caramel! 
Pour the caramel all over the top of the apples
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment